Its Good to be Evil!
Isthnea is currently the seat of imperial government; the center of the Great Kileana Empire; a locus of knowledge and politics, money and power, the religious and the arcane; the ancient, the secret, and the hidden. The region is a shattered, war-torn, ravaged wasteland; few settlements adorn the landscape and it often feels as though fewer people still reside here. However, in truth the area is burgeoning once again with life and vitality as the old is replaced with the new; people once again build and grow and thrive and make their living in what would otherwise be nothing more than barren wastes. The emperor, ever the man of vision has personally ordained the Great Reconstruction that will allow Isthnea to light the way into a New Era of peace and prosperity, illumination and enlightenment, art and music, life and beauty.
Isthnea was actually the youngest of the original Kileana City-States, and for good reason: much of the surrounding country was dominated by marshlands; everything from mild bogs to festering swamps. As new technologies and techniques enabled men to drain the swamps and manage the waterways, Isthnea’s potential farmland promised to be very rich if not vast. Initially an expansion enterprise funded by the bankers and merchants of _____, Isthnea quickly grew into a rather populous region that developed their own major city, which took its name from the region: Iscapthal. Because of the Great Ice Fjord on Isthnea’s northern border, it proved impossible to clear all of the swamps in the region, and it is rumored that the Great Threat initially came from those swamps – the very same Great Threat that His Eternal Imperial Majesty saved the people from.
- Iscilia is the capital proper of the Kileana Empire. Notable features include the Imperial Palace, the Grand Senate, and the great temples, churches, and cathedrals of the gods. A major trading city in its own right, the great city of Iscilia is well on its way to becoming the largest in all the empire, if not the world; it has been under Reconstruction for over 400 years now, a rather successful venture, despite repeated disturbances.
- Roatshire is a larger walled town a full day’s ride outside of the capital city; it is focused around and exists primarily to support that infamous dungeon known as the Tower of Irons. The stench of the place has earned it the nickname “Rottingspire” by travelling bards, for the site is home to perhaps the largest mass grave ever conceived.
- Gresco is almost as old as the Rebuilt capital; this small, pastoral city is haven and enclave to artists and artisans of many crafts, goverened under the sagacious minds of the Tuscillani Lords and the Fleurotine Nobles. The town is famous for sculptors, architects, jewlers, and artists, but some notable smiths have come from the town as well.
- Dubaire is a very newly founded city on the low mountains that run along Isthnea’s eastern border; many wondrous things can be seen here, and most anything seen can be had for the right price. The city is a model for the New Era, a place of trade and ideas and ingenuity; a paradise for thinkers, inventors, and engineers, it is home to no less prestigious an institution than the Institute of Ignomish Invention.
- Victoria is a very old yet small city about equally as far from Iscilia and Gresco, that originally was built to serve the queen’s secondary palace, but has since come to be more known for the Grand Royal Mausoleum.